exclusive gift shop

All images are clickable

Register here as a new member if you want to be advised by e-mail on new updates, and take your FREE WELCOME GIFTS.

For the distinct decorative jobs, Gaudí surrounded himself with great artists from different fields: for example, the Badia brothers, Juan Oñós and Salvador Gabarró, for the metal forging jobs; Alejo Clapés, for painting; Julián Soley and Edualdo Puntí, carpenters and woodworkers; and the Ventura brothers as marble cutters.

The Palau Güell was a social center since, as has been previously commented, concerts, parties, and literary and artistic meetings took place there. In addition, it was visited by important people, including, for example, the President of the United States, Grover Cleveland, Infanta Eulalia de Borbon or the regent, Maria Cristina de Habsburgo.

When Eusebi Güell moved his residence to Park Güell, the palace was managed by his children and, when he died, it became the property of his daughter Mercè. As time went by it became more difficult to maintain the building, so Güell's young daughter decided to put it up for rent. The people of Barcelona feared that Gaudí's work could be turned into a luxurious brothel and soon found a use for it as a possible Museum of Ancient Music. This idea was never carried out and, in 1936, when the Spanish Civil War broke out, Mercè went into exile, and the palace was confiscated and turned into a commissariat. After the war, the processes were initiated to put it in hands of a public entity, and it was acquired by the Diputación de Barcelona (government of the province of Barcelona) in 1945. Mercè Güell, besides requesting a lifetime pension, provided three conditions: that the building never be disfigured or demolished; that it be destined to a cultural or artistic purpose; and that homage to its creator, Gaudí, and its developer, the first Count of Güell, be perpetuated.

In 1945, the first restoration took place. It basically consisted of repairing the damages caused by the war, as well as restoring pieces worn by time. In 1971, another restoration began; it lasted until 1979. It was focused on the roof, carpentry, woodwork and ironwork.

The Palau Güell is currently the starting point of the Modernist Route of Barcelona.

[ top | Life & Works | Homepage ]