Francesc Parés i Iglesias

Parés i Francesc de Paula Iglesias was born in Vila-rodona (Alt Camp) on February 1, 1873. The same day he was baptized in his parents' home by the midwife, Maria Gabalda.
He studied at the Minor Seminary of Tarragona, from 1883 to 1887, and decided to prepare for the priesthood. On February 17, 1894, Dr. Tomas Costa i Fornaguera, Archbishop of Tarragona, conferred minor orders. Subdeacon received June 8, 1895, in the chapel of the Episcopal Palace. And the diaconate, May 21, 1896, in the chapel of the Seminary of Tarragona, in the hands of the grand and enlightened Bishop of Lleida, Dr. Josep Messeguer i Costa.
The same Dr. Messeguer he ordained on May 30, 1896, in the Cathedral of Lleida.

Francesc de Paula Mosen Parés a doctorate in theology and canon law at the Pontifical University of Tarragona. He had been deputy prefect of discipline and professor in the Seminary of Tarragona from 1890 until 1896. A priest, was named coadjutor of Santa Maria, Cathedral of Tarragona, from September 30, 1896 until June 28, 1901, when he became treasurer of Sant Antoni de Valls. At the beginning of the year 1901-1902, he moved to Madrid, for a degree in civil law at the Complutense University and became professor of Canon Law Seminar from 1901 to 1909. Simultaneously, he was steward of the Seminary of Madrid from 1901 to 1903, and vicar of Santa Maria de la Almudena from September 1905 to June 1909.
Called by Bishop Dr. Ramon Guillamet i Coma, was Vicar General of Leon from the November 12, 1909 until November 18, 1913. He won competitions and was a canon of Leon from the August 14, 1910 until April 15, 1917.
Following Dr. Guillamet he was Secretary of Government House and the Bishop of Cordoba from January 1, 1919 to June 1920, and archpriest of the Cathedral of Cordoba from the April 7, 1917 until March 8, 1920.
Upon being appointed Bishop of Barcelona Dr. Guillamet, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés became schoolmaster of the Cathedral of Barcelona on March 8, 1920, Vicar General of Barcelona from July 21, 1920 May 30 1924 Counselor of the Nocturnal Adoration of Barcelona from the December 17, 1920.

Dr. Parés On November 15, 1921, Dr. Guillamet reorganized the Board of Works of the Temple of the Sagrada Familia, in an entirely favorable to Gaudi. For this purpose, appointed deputy president Dr. Pares, who also happened to be the director of the Spiritual Association of Devotees of San Jose.

He had other charges, as clerk of the Diocesan Box of November 17, 1922 to May 30, 1924, and spiritual director of the Sisters of the Visitation (Sales) since June 1923.

As president delegate of the Board of Works, Dr. Parés held important cults in the Temple of the Sagrada Família. For example, the first Mass at 8:00 am, Sunday, December 11, 1921, the Jubilee Year celebration culminating Josefino, when he laid the first stone of the nave, blessed by Cardinal Vidal i Barraquer.
Soon after, the day of San Pedro, 1922, to rejoin the procession of the Feast XV atoning Blasphemy, gave the benediction with the Blessed Sacrament from the place they occupy the high altar in the future spacecraft.

On Tuesday June 8, 1926, when he met the accident of Antoni Gaudí, Dr. Parés went to the Hospital de la Santa Creu. Spent the whole afternoon. The patient took two yogurts.

On Thursday June 10 at 9:30 pm, the doctors gave up hope. Canon Dr. Parés also went to the hospital and, along with five other priests present, were at 11 h. the flamboyant Bishop of Barcelona, ??Dr. Josep Miralles i Sbert, which came into the room where Gaudi was dying, tried to talk to him, prayed some prayers given his soul to God and gave the blessing.
At 14 pm, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés relieved at the bedside of the dying to Mosen Gil Parés, chaplain of the Temple of the Sagrada Família, which had not moved for a moment the bedside of the sick from morning Wednesday.
At 16 am, Father Gil Parés opened the bedroom door and invited those present to pray the recommendation of the soul. All fell on their knees. During the ceremony, it appeared that Gaudí had a moment of lucidity, realizing it and saying several times during the litany of the saints and the psalm "De Profundis": "Well, well, Amen! Amen! "
At 16.30 pm, were placed on either side of the bed a few lighted candles, which lit up the image of St. Joseph who was on the head, which hung large rosaries.
At 17.07 pm, Gaudi died. Those present recited the Lord's Prayer.

Immediately, Dr. Parés chaired the joint meeting of the Board of Works of the Sagrada Família and the Board of the Hospital de la Santa Creu, to prepare the chapel and burial. Unanimously agreed that Gaudí was buried in the crypt of the temple, for what is called the canonical and civil appropriate permission.
Installed the chapel in the medical room of the same Thursday night 10, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés held the third of eight different priests who served Mass at 7.30 pm of 11 Friday morning, after Gil Parés Mosen and the prior of the Hospital, Father Lambert Botey.
Temple Board also agreed that, respecting the way of being and the wishes of Mr. Anton, the burial was done with as simple as possible, without any pomp. It took place on Saturday 12 in the afternoon. In the long procession from the hospital to the Cathedral, Dr. Parés held the representation of the Bishop, presiding ecclesiastical duel with the prior of Sant Jordi, Dr. Berenguer.
Upon entering Gaudí's funeral in the Cathedral, the official mourning were dismissed. From there, the grief that accompanied the coffin of Antoni Gaudí to its final resting place in the Crypt of the Sagrada Familia was chaired by Dr. Francesc only Paula Parés.
He also chaired the mourning at the funeral for the repose of Gaudí, held on June 28 in the church of the convent of Santa Clara.

Dr. Francesc de Paula equals are canon of Barcelona and 14 October 1931fue appointed Chief Justice of the beatification process of Dr. Josep Torras i Bages, who died in 1916 and close friend of Gaudí.

In July 1936, after the military uprising of General Franco and in the framework of the Spanish Civil War broke out in Catalonia, the bloodiest religious persecution against Catholics in the country's history. The anarchists organized into committees and patrols, sought and killed with impunity until May 1937 to Catholic priests and the people who hid or helped. They sang: "basement that we caught, we kill cassock. Bastards of priests not return trip, because you go to hell. "

Dr. Francesc Parés was discovered at the home of relatives in Bruc street, n. 25, 4. Number of Barcelona on January 25, 1937. Referred to the Committee of Poble Nou, was killed the next morning, on January 26, 1937, in the cemetery of Montcada (ID 587). He was 63.

After the Civil War, his remains were transferred on August 24, 1940 at South Cemetery west. On November 17, 1986 passed the ossuary.

| Top | Homepage |