The Park Güell (1900-1914)
During the levelling of the park mineral water spring was discovered. Eusebi wanted to sell the water with the brand-name "Sarva."
There were plans for the construction of a large chapel for the garden-city, on the hill of the "menes," but it was never built because of poor sales. What was meant to be an oratory became a Calvary; a dry-stone tower was built, crowned by the three Crosses of Calvary. The crosses which are present today are not in the original place, since the originals were destroyed in 1936.
Güell moved his residence to the house which gave its name to the property, Can Muntaner (now a school), and lived there until the day of his death. When construction was paralyzed the park became his garden. After Eusebi died, Güell Park became a municipal park and was opened to the public in 1922.
In 1969 it was declared a monument by local authorities, in order to avoid possible speculations, since there were discussions of building a large hotel. In 1985, a study began to determine the condition of the park, in order to plan its restoration. Later, reforms began in the Sala Hipóstila, since the flow of water through the columns had caused great deterioration. These restorative projects are slow and costly, but at this point the Doric temple, the stairway and the fabulous undulating bench have been repaired. The Porter's Pavilion is currently under reforms.
Güell Park could be used today as an example of environmental-friendly land development because of its total respect to the natural environment, as well as the use of recycling in the creation of most of the mosaics, since the ceramic came from factory wastes.